Investing in the best water shoes for kids might seem like a wasteful purchase especially if your kids prefer walking barefoot on the sand. There’s nothing that beats the unique sensory experience of the texture and temperature of the sand on their feet. However, walking bare foot in beaches with sharp rocks (or broken glass) is probably not a good idea though!
Water shoes can provide protection for your children’s feet and also help prevent injuries from slipping or falling on wet surfaces. The good news is there’s a plethora of good water shoes which will keep your kiddos feet safe (without breaking the bank) while they they jump, run, and splash in the water.
This post is all about best water shoes for kids. It may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more details.
- Top 10 Best Water Shoes for Kids
- What are Water Shoes
- How to Choose Kids Water Shoes
- How to Maintain Kids Water Shoes
Top 10 Best Water Shoes for Kids
Wearing water shoes can help prevent children from coming into direct contact with potentially harmful bacteria or other contaminants in the water or on the beach.
Overall, while not all children may need to wear water shoes, they can be a useful and practical choice for activities like swimming, kayaking, or exploring rocky shores or tide pools.
Merrell’s closed-toe Hydro sandal is the ultimate summer camp shoe. This shoe can handle any activity, wet or dry, owing to a sturdy structure for quick-dry and a flexible outsole with M Select GRIP for traction. (Buy Now)
I love Merrell Bare Steps H2O barefoot shoes for toddlers. The sole is super flexible and comfortable and my little one has no trouble walking in them. It makes walking through the locker rooms, showers, and pool deck much less hazardous, protects little feet, and gives good traction. (Buy Now)
UBFEN Water Shoes are one of the rare water shoes that are affordable and come in a huge number of colors and sizes. Parents report these shoes are easy to wear and and are quite resistant to rough use. The insoles can be removed as well. (Buy Now)
Keen Seacamp Closed Toe Sandals are made of fabric and a rubber sole which makes for a durable but very comfortable water shoe. On top of that, the lace-lock bungee capture system provides a secure fit while offering a quick and easy way to get them on and off – a must have feature for toddler shoes. (Buy Now)
Another bestseller from the makers at Keen, the Moxie Closed Toe sandals are made of polyester webbing and a rubber sole. These sandals can even be used on dry ground with the non marking sole design. The best feature for me is they’re machine washable and quick to dry. (Buy Now)
Suited for both land and water, the Chaco Odyssey All Terrain Sandals are greats for the older kids in your family. Similar to the Keen sandals, these sandals are washable and have a rough sole that keeps your kiddos feet safe and protected from rough surfaces. (Buy Now)
The Littleplum Sandals are the perfect boy sandals for a combination of comfort, fashion and durability. The fit of these shoes are great yet they’re easy enough for your kids to pull them off on their own. The best part is all the different color combos these sandals come in. (Buy Now)
Made from recycled plastic, the Teva Tirra Sandals are not only cute but also environmentally friendly. They are quick dry sandals which means they are suited for short hikes on dry land too. (Buy Now)
The Chaco EcoTread sandals water shoes are great for kids who have narrow or wide feet. The strong sole combined with a flexible upper is generally forgiving on the feet. Plus, if you want matching pairs to your Chacos, then these sandals are the way to go. (Buy Now)
Just when I thought The Crocs Classic Clogs were going out of fashion, they amped up the style and started offering them in some really cool graphics. You can never go wrong with purchasing Clogs because they’re versatile, comfortable and very forgiving on your toddler’s feet – on water and dry land. (Buy Now)
This post is all about best water shoes for kids. If you want to learn more about water shoes and how to maintain them, then please continue reading.
What are Water Shoes
Water shoes, also known as aqua shoes or beach shoes, are a type of footwear that are designed to be worn in or around water. They are typically made from lightweight, quick-drying materials that can be more comfortable to wear than regular shoes when wet.
Water shoes often have a slip-resistant sole that can provide better traction on slippery surfaces. This can help prevent children from slipping and falling, which can be especially important in areas where the water is moving quickly or there are strong waves.
How to Choose Kids Water Shoes
When choosing water shoes for kids, there are several factors to consider to ensure that they are comfortable, protective, and appropriate for the intended activity. Here are some tips for selecting the right water shoes:
- Purpose: Consider the intended purpose of the water shoes. Are they for beach walking, kayaking, or swimming? This can help determine the level of protection and traction needed in the shoes.
- Fit: Make sure the water shoes fit well and are comfortable. The shoes should not be too tight or too loose, and they should provide adequate support for the feet.
- Material: Look for water shoes made from quick-drying materials such as neoprene or mesh. These materials can help prevent the shoes from becoming heavy or waterlogged, which can make them uncomfortable to wear.
- Traction: Look for water shoes with a slip-resistant sole that can provide better traction on wet and slippery surfaces. This can help prevent falls and injuries.
- Protection: Consider the level of protection the water shoes offer. If the shoes will be worn in areas with sharp rocks or shells, look for shoes with a durable sole and reinforced toe area.
- Style: Choose water shoes that your child likes and will want to wear. There are many different styles and colors available, so find something that suits your child’s preferences.
How to Maintain Kids Water Shoes
Water shoes can be an investment in your child’s safety and comfort, so it’s important to take care of them to make them last. Here are some tips for maintaining water shoes:
- Rinse and dry: After each use, rinse the water shoes with fresh water to remove any sand, salt, or other debris. Then, let them air dry completely before storing them. Avoid exposing them to direct sunlight or high heat, as this can damage the materials.
- Clean as needed: If the water shoes become dirty or smelly, clean them with a mild soap and water solution. Avoid using harsh detergents or bleach, as these can damage the materials. After cleaning, rinse thoroughly and air dry.
- Store properly: Store water shoes in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight or heat. Avoid folding or compressing them, as this can damage the materials and affect the fit.
- Check for wear and tear: Regularly inspect the water shoes for signs of wear and tear, such as holes, fraying, or worn-out soles. If you notice any damage, consider repairing or replacing the shoes to ensure continued protection and comfort.
Overall, by following these tips and taking good care of your child’s water shoes, you can help extend their lifespan and ensure that they continue to provide the necessary protection and comfort for water-based activities.